A thoroughly comforting, creamy and quick curry that utilises the beautiful eggplants that spring and summer offer up in abundance.
- 2 tbs of cooking oil. We recommend Loving Earth coconut oil
- 2 medium brown onions, chopped
- 1 tbs mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- Fresh green or red chilies, finely chopped. Quantity up to you!
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes. We recommend Nicola potatoes for curries
- 2 medium sized eggplants, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 can of coconut cream. We recommend Spiral Coconut Milk
- Couple of handfuls of green veg. Peas, beans, spinach etc
- Salt to taste
- Coriander, roughly chopped
1) Heat oil in a large saucepan and add onions, mustard and cumin seeds. Fry on a high heat for 1 or 2 mins
2) Add chillies, garlic, ginger and dry spices. Fry for 1 or 2 mins stirring continuously.
3) Add potatoes and eggplants and stir to coat with the spices. Turn down heat and cover with a lid. You may need to add a splash of water to prevent curry from sticking
4) Cook until the potatoes are tender (approx 20mins) then add coconut cream, green veg and season to taste.
5) Serve with Basmati or Jasmine rice and chopped coriander