A wonderful Spring salad that uses 'coolest kid on the block' Freekah and the abundance of broad beans that spring offers up to us.
Freekeh is young green wheat that has been toasted and cracked. It is packed full of fibre and essential nutrients such as selenium, potassium and magnesium. Like quinoa, freekeh is an excellent source of protein for vegetarian and vegans .
All ingredients can be found at Organic Gertrude in Spring.
- 1 cup fresh broad beans
- 1/2 cup freekeh
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 cup mint, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Cook freekah according to instructions on packet.
- Take broad beans out of their 'sleeping bags' and boil for 3mins
- Combine ingredients. Serve. Too easy.